Yazoo Mississippi Blues
By Jim O’Neal
Yazoo County, Mississippi, never had the bustling blues scene of other Delta counties, but there was always music there. We explore the county and the history of its blues.
Jimmy “Duck” Holmes
Blue Front Blues
By Scott Barretta
Jimmy “Duck” Holmes and his family’s Blue Front Cafe have been the epicenter of the blues in Yazoo County for nearly 70 years. His story is intertwined with the history of one of the most unique musical traditions in the blues.
Yazoo County Blues Today
Jimmy Holmes is not the only active bluesman in the area. We take a look at three other members of today’s local blues scene.
- McKinney “Blues Man” Williams by Scott Barretta
- Arion Babybell by Frank Kossen
- Sam Scott by Holly Robinson
The Forgotten Father of Bentonia Blues
By Gayle Dean Wardlow and Jim O’Neal
Henry Stuckey is credited as the father of the Bentonia style of blues. He mentored Skip James, Jack Owens and Jimmy “Duck” Holmes, and all three spent their lives carrying on his unique musical style.
In Yazoo County
Places to See, Places to Eat and Places to Stay
By Holly Robinson
Cypress Grove Blues
A Photo Essay by Bill Steber
- New Releases by: TajMo, Jontavious Willis and Selwyn Birchwood
- Reissues by: John Lee Hooker, Curtis Knight with Jimi Hendrix and Major Lance
Cover photo by Bill Steber
Jimmy “Duck” Holmes at the Blue Front Cafe, Bentonia, Mississippi, 2017
Inside Living Blues
- Monster Mike Welch And Mike Ledbetter, Right Place, Right Time, Delta Groove
- Selwyn Birchwood, Pick Your Poison, Alligator
- Taj Mahal & Keb Mo, TajMo, Concord
- Janiva Magness, Blue Again, Blue Elan
- Coco Montoya, Hard Truth, Alligator
- John Primer & Bob Corritore,